DCC Beta Projects has been running for about 7 months, and is ITSELF a Beta, and itself has considered the Beta criteria (it was responding to a ‘Need’, is a ‘strategic platform’ – an idea that can change and grow and help launch others’ ideas…and so on).
We’re going to ‘pause’ DCC Beta for a few weeks, and during that time we’d love to get your feedback…so here’s a whole PILE of questions to get you thinking!
UPDATE: DCC BETA IS ACTIVE AGAIN, THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!
(Here’s why we’re ‘pausing’ DCC Beta for a few weeks…
DCC Beta Projects was initiated from within the City Architects Division of Dublin City Council, and at the moment (as it’s just a Beta Project itself) is mainly managed by an individual as a ’10% Innovation Time’ project – albeit with lots of fantastic help and input from other individuals in Dublin City Council. By “managed” we mean updating of the blog, Facebook, Twitter, checking emails, etc.
As that individual is due to go on some annual leave shortly for personal reasons, we thought that it would be a perfect time to do something that we’ve wanted to do for ages…get your feedback on ALL aspects of DCC Beta itself!)
Feel completely free to say whatever you’d like, nothing in DCC Beta isn’t relatively easily changed, or that we’re precious about. For example this version of WordPress is the free one, and the logo was created simply using MS Word in the space of a half-hour or so. In terms of the Beta Projects, the most expensive individual one to date was about €300.
DCC Beta – General
- Is DCC Beta a good idea or not? Why?
- What aspects do you like about DCC Beta, or what do you not like?
- Any suggestions on the “Dublin City Council Beta Projects” or “DCC Beta Projects” name itself?
- Any suggestions or comments on the logo?
- Do you know of any similar examples to DCC Beta that we could look at, and learn from?
DCC Beta – Communicating
- What do you think of the blog – is there anything that we should add/remove/change, and so on?
- DCC Beta’s on Facebook and Twitter, and sometimes we’re not sure if we should be writing mini-blog posts and then posting them up on Facebook or Twitter instead of directly writing them into those social media. Any guidance for us there?
- Would you like, or recommend, us to be on any other social channels…Pinterest for eg?
- We sometimes find it difficult to track and record (especially as a part-time project) all of the different channels…email, blog comments, Facebook comments, Facebook wall posts, Twitter @replies and #DCCbeta tweets, some postal items…and so on. We hope we’re responding OK, but either way we’d love to hear your thoughts or if you’ve any suggestions for us.
- Would you like us to do other things…for example hold a regular monthly lunch whereby you could just have a coffee with us and discuss something?
- When you’ve seen a physical Beta Project, have you known that it was a Beta Project (we put laminated bright-yellow sheets next to them…all so far, except for the traffic light boxes, which we’re due to do)? Any suggestions with regard to that?
DCC Beta – Projects
- What types of Beta projects would you like to see more of? What would you like to see less of?
- Is there any type of info would you like us to provide to you about Beta Projects that we don’t currently do, or currently do too much?
- Should it do something else to get feedback on your input into the City?
- We know it’s still early days for the various Beta projects, but would you like to know more about where Betas might go, or be going? If so, why?
- Would you like to see more strategy or structure to the Beta Projects being carried out, or are you happy with the way it is? (There’s a certain degree of strategy and structure, but we haven’t as yet done a blog post on some of the background to it. There also partly isn’t too much structure or strategy as that allows the idea to develop in a way that’s probably more natural, rather than having to conform to a pre-conceived notion.) Would you like to suggest a particular strategy or structure? If so, if could explain why you’re suggesting what you’re suggesting…as always!
DCC Beta – Beta Area
At the moment all Betas are carried out in a particular ‘Beta Area’, and this explains why.
- What do you think of that idea?
- Would you suggest a different Beta Area? (The main thing to bear in mind that it needs to be a good TEST AREA, anything else is secondary.)
- Perhaps the Beta Area could move from year-to-year? If so, why?
- Perhaps there could be a few Beta Areas at the same time, each one able to test slightly different things – for example one which included some of Dublin Bay or a canal might be able to look at additional items. Or a suburban one might test some very different things, or have very different outcomes or feedback.
Perhaps we’ve missed something above…any other suggestions or feedback that you’d like to give us?
So! After this Friday 26th October, we’ll see you all again a few weeks later, and in the meantime, we unfortunately won’t be in a position to reply to any comments here, or on the social mediums, or email, but we certainly will be looking forward to reading it all in a few weeks…and we’ll use it all to help us revise DCC Beta Projects (assuming for a moment you think it’s a good idea) to version 2.0. (We’ve a good few changes that we already want to make ourselves…based on your questions and feedback over the past 7 months.)
We’d also like to take this opportunity to again thank each and every one of you who contributed a comment or suggestion to us to date…you’ve been great!